Le Groupe Ouest’s Annual Selection: Eight Feature Film Projects
Since the creation of our screenwriting coaching programme, Groupe Ouest’s Annual Selection has supported eight feature film projects every year. The annual call for projects is issued in October and closes in December. The eight writers selected in March benefit from screenwriting coaching during nine months, including four group sessions in residency in the Finistère department of Brittany.
Through these residential workshops, Groupe Ouest aims at giving a new impetus to the feature film industry in Brittany. Supervised by recognised European script-consultants, Groupe Ouest’s annual call for projects is designed to assist writers whose projects may involve a significant part of the shooting or crafting (for animated films) in Brittany.
Writers benefit from a work environment designed especially for them: facing the sea, they can let their imagination run free. Working hand in hand with European platforms such as TorinoFilmLab or Cross Channel Film Lab, creates momentum for collective emulation.
Screenwriting Coaching & Residential Workshops
The programme includes screenwriting coaching supervised by script-consultants, four workshops (six to eight days) in Brignogan-Plages and online work sessions. Le Groupe Ouest’s project development and screenwriting coaching programme enables writers to benefit from:
- A nine-month structured follow-up of the project, supervised by a main script-consultants and three complementary script-consultants, allowing for an exchange of perspectives and the brainstorming of new possibilities for each project, in addition to meticulous work on script development.
- A programme designed to help writers devote themselves full-time to their projects, far from daily life hassles: accommodation and food expenses in the residency are taken care of, allowing writers to fully immerse themselves in their work.
- A chance to be part of a European venture of project development and co-production.
- A principle of exchange of readings between the writers at the same stages of project development, in the same place, spurs emulation between them, giving further impetus to the project.
- Public presentations of the works in progress: the opportunity to gauge audience reception for the first time. Those delivery deadlines will also be very helpful for the writer.
Who Should Apply?
The programme targets French speaking screenwriters and emerging feature film author-directors (for their first, up to their third feature film). They should have had at least one successful experience in screenwriting, including film production and a selection at a festival.
Yearly Selection Schedule
Following an initial selection, the final jury selects from twenty to thirty projects. The pre-selection results are sent by e-mail in February, and the final results are sent by e-mail in March. The very first workshop, which launches the upcoming nine months of project development, is held is April.